Followers

Thursday, October 17, 2019

Green Tomato Chutney Recipe



Green Tomato Chutney Recipe


What do you do when life gives you green tomatoes….you make green tomato chutney!

This was my first time trying this recipe and it was super easy to do…just chop, bring to a boil then let it simmer for an hour (I did this while getting other household chores done and just set a timer so I wouldn’t forget to stir occasionally). When I make this recipe again (I will since it’s delicious) I would recommend straining/squeezing excess water out of the tomatoes before adding to the pot and adding less malt vinegar to reduce the liquid. It took about 3 hours to simmer the chutney down to a jam like thickness but it was worth it - the flavor it sweet and vinegary which pairs well with goat cheese (I’ve been making cheese weekly to stock up for the winter months…since we give our resident goats (and us) a break from milking in the winter), cured meats & bread. 

Anyone have other recipes they like to use to make use of your green tomato harvest???…Fried green tomatoes, green tomato pasta sauce, or green tomato ketchup…please share if you have recipes. I’m planning on significantly increasing the number of tomato plants next spring so I’m sure I’ll have to get more creative. 


Ingredients
6 cups - Green Tomatoes (2.2lbs) **I would recommend squeezing out excess water
6 cups - Red Onions (2.2lbs)
1 cup Raisins (5.2oz)
3 Garlic cloves (yep - straight from our farm this year : ) 
1/4 tsp Cayenne pepper
1/4 tsp Black pepper
2 tsp Sea salt
1½ cups Brown sugar
4¼ cups Malt Vinegar (32fl oz) **I would recommend reducing to 3 cups

Instructions
  1. Rough chop the tomatoes, onions, and raisins; mince the garlic.
  2. Place all ingredients into a stainless steel pan and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low and then simmer uncovered for an hour. Keep an eye on it and stir occasionally.
  3. The chutney will turn brown and will have reduced down within that hour's cooking time. It will smell great too.
  4. Spoon the chutney into warm, sterilized glass jars and seal with lids. In my research, I found that chutneys don't need to be canned for longer storage but I felt better with a 15 minute water-bath to make sure they have a good shelf life. 
  5. Label the jars when cool and store in a dark cupboard and use within a year. Refrigerate the jars once opened.
This recipe was adapted from: www.lovelygreens.com/





No comments:

Post a Comment